What is a Schengen Visa and why may I need one to marry in Denmark?

A Schengen visa is a visa that allows you to travel and enter all 26 Schengen countries with one visa.  If you are not sure if you need a Schengen visa then please see this page.

The 26 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

These countries abolished the need for passport controls at their mutual boarders, therefore if you apply for and receive a Schengen visa you can move freely between these countries for the validity of your visa. Just check the conditions of your Schengen VISA, and make sure you are aware of all restrictions like entry needs to be made through the country of issuing state, or the majority of your Schengen stay is in the country of issuing state.

The standard multi state visa will allow you to travel and stay in all countries in the Schengen zone for the allotted period as outlined on the VISA - and there are a variety of timeframes, so make sure you get the right one! A multi schengen will of course allow entry into Denmark, and the license of marriage will only be valid for you get married within the period of the VISA (but of course once you are married you are married until Divorce/Death)


There are many types of Schengen visa so when applying you have to make sure that you apply for the correct visa because if the wrong visa is issued then you will have to go through the process again.


Applications can be made through any Embassy of a member state.


Type A - This is an airport transfer visa and allows you to enter the airport of a Schengen country to transfer onto another flight, but it does not allow you to stay in the Schengen area.


Type C - This is a short stay visa and allows the holder to stay in the Schengen Area for the length of validity on the visa, this is then divided into;

- Single Entry - You can enter the Schengen Area one time and stay for the validity of the visa, this can be for any amount of days up to 90 days.

- Double Entry - You can enter the Schengen Area two times, however you can NOT overstay the total days mentioned on the visa

- Multiple Entry - You can enter the Schengen Area as many times as you like during the validity of the visa.  This visa is usually issued on a one year, two year or 5 year validity.  Allowing the holder to stay a maximum of 90 days in every 180 day period.


Limited Territorial Validity Visa - This allows you to only stay in the country where the visa was issued, therefore it does not allow you to travel from country to country.


Type D - This is a national visa and works the same as a residence permit, this is usually issued to students or those on work placements.  These can be issued as a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa.  In order to obtain one of these visas you have to meet one of the following criteria;

-An international student program will grant a visa for a period of no more than one year.

-An international student that is about to start a full course of studies in one of the Schengen countries. Again the visa is issued for a period of one year with the possibility of extending it.

-A pedagogical work at a higher institution or research centre in any of the Schengen countries, regarding the person and its close family members.

-A professional who is traveling in any of the Schengen countries due to its expertise be it a sportsman, an artist or any other professional of its kind with the purpose of sharing its expertise.

-Emergency cases as a medical condition that prevents the individual leave the Schengen Area at the designated time frame.


One thing that you have to be careful of with a visa is the difference between the validity of the visa and the duration of stay, as they are two very different things!

Duration of Stay – is the maximum of days you are permitted to remain in the Schengen. The first day you enter Schengen is counted as “Day 1”, even if you enter just a few minutes before midnight. Whereas, the “Last Day” is counted the day you leave Schengen, even if it is just a few minutes after midnight. 

Visa Validity – on the other hand, is the period of time from which to which you can use your visa to enter and stay in the Schengen Area.

For further information on obtaining a Schengen visa please see this article.

As of the 2nd February 2020 there are a number of changes to the application process, 2 of the major changes being that you can now apply for your visa 6 months in advance of the trip, the minimum application time is 15 days.  Also the fee has increased and will now cost 80€ per application.


If you are interested in getting married in Denmark and want to know more about this subject please feel free to contact us, we are happy to provide free advice and a free no obligation documents list of what is required to get married in Denmark.

International couples marrying is easy
Get married in Denmark easily. Best for foreign, Non Eu and International couples


Have a look at our awesome YouTube channel for short information Vlogs on how easy it is to elope and get married abroad!

Please contact us anytime via our contacts page by clicking here by e-mail at [email protected] or call us on +447934933356 or what’s app +4571493483

We would love to hear from you!