What is the Danish Marriage financial Regime I will marry under

This is a question that we get asked every day and it is an important thing to consider. In todays world people are moving from country to country, getting married somewhere and then moving to another.  This is now common practice and there is already so much to consider in terms of administration that the couple need to know where they stand incase anything should happen.  In life you should always hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

When you get married in Denmark, there is no need to send anything through regarding the regime that you have chosen it is not included on the application or the certificate, it is nothing you can change, chose specify or alter.

So firstly a little about the Marriage regime in Denmark....

Splitting of property on separation, divorce, or death

When a couple marries, the marriage will impact their mutual financial
affairs, particularly in relation to the splitting of property on separation,
divorce, or death, pursuant to the Spouse Act (Act no. 548 of 30 May,
2017, on the financial affairs of spouses) which came into effect on 1
January, 2018.

In short.. 

The matrimonial property regime automatically given
to newlyweds is the so-called ”community of
property”. This means that your assets will be divided
evenly between you on separation or divorce. Please
see below for information on how your property will be
split if one spouse dies.
The property of a spouse to be divided evenly is
called ”dividable property”.

But as an international couple coming to Denmark to just marry then does this regime have to be used through out their marriage?

There are EU laws that cover couples that live in the EU, however Denmark has opted to stand outside of these laws, you can read more about that here.

For a detailed description of the Danish law please see here .

It clearly states that the law that couples have to stick to is the place of habitual residence, therefore when you move and register the marriage in your pace of residence then the regime that will follow will be that of the place where you live.

As lots of couples don't know where they will be living, then they opt to come to a private agreement between themselves and simply take a meeting with a legal professional and come to a private agreement that will cover them for the immediate and long-term future, one that they can change and amend as time goes on.  We would always recommend that you see a qualified practitioner and one that is used to international couple travelling around.  It can seem like a scary and arduous task just before you marry, however once it is signed and sealed you can move on with your amazing new lives together knowing that everything is agreed.

As though you will marry under a 50/50 division of assets as a default start for finances unless you and your partner yourselves put something different into place with a prenup or post nuptial agreement. This is nothing the Danish Government or registrar, or we need to see. It is an agreement between you and your partner and drawn up by a trained legal specialist that relates to your being married.

Should there be the requirement to split you would not divorce in Denmark, and where you marry has no bearing on where you would conduct divorce proceedings, so it is advised to get legal advice in your country of residency or citizenship, as it would be very expensive and non required to do this in Denmark.


Documents required for marrying in Denmark are very simple too compile, of course the exact list can only be provided once you have answered some specific questions, however please see our brief list below.  In some cases the Danish Authorities will ask for further documents, however we can let you know where and how you can attain these if needed.

In order to get married in Denmark  - All Applicants need to provide;

  • Valid Passports (the expiry date must allow for 6 months between the ceremony date and the expiration date).
  • If you are not living in your country of citizenship, a valid residence permit.
  • If you do not have visa free entrance to the Schengen Zone then a valid Schengen Visa with validity for the date of the ceremony.
  • If you are divorced, the original full and final divorce decree, this must be legalised within in accordance to the Hague Convention.
  • If you are a widow or widower, you must have an original death certificate legalised to with accordance to the Hague Convention.

All documents need to be in either English, German or Danish, if they are not then they must be translated by a certified translator.


We are happy to provide advice and a free no obligation documents list of which documents you will require to get married in Denmark – just contact us on any of the methods below.

Have a look at our awesome YouTube channel for short information Vlogs on how easy it is to elope and get married abroad!

You can easily contact us by clicking here or by e-mail at [email protected] or call us on +45 71 49 34 83 or what’s app +45 31 88 05 43

We would love to hear from you!